When Charlotte from Buttercream & Dreams removed this super tall beauty from it’s box to photograph Adam and I were like……Wow. Can we have a slice immediately please?!
This is a really yummy flavour combination with a subtle nod to the marzipan flavouring of a traditional Easter Simnel cake but coupled with the delicious chocolate we all love. The almonds and yogurt keep the cake really moist and the mini eggs make it a perfect Easter Day centre piece.
- 340g Unsalted Butter
- 340g Caster Sugar
- 6 eggs
- 280g Self Raising Flour
- 30g Ground Almonds
- 30g Coco Powder
- A spoon of greek yogurt
- 225g Unsalted Butter
- 450g Icing Sugar
- 30g Cocoa Powder
- A drop of milk
- As many mini eggs as you like!
- Preheat the oven to 180c/Gas mark 4.
- Grease and line two 8 inch round tins or three 6 inch round tins.
- In a free standing mixer or using a hand whisk cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time.
- Sift in the flour, cocoa powder and ground almonds and fold in to the mixture.
Mix in the yoghurt.
- Divide between the tins and bake for 25-30 mins or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove the cakes and leave to cool.
- In a free standing mixer or using a hand whisk mix together the butter, icing sugar and cocoa until light and fluffy. Add the milk until it is a smooth consistency.
- Once the cakes are cooled level the tops and spread each layer with a dollop of the buttercream.
- Stack the layers together and then spread more buttercream over the sides and top.
- Decorate with mini eggs!