If you’ve not managed to purchase the perfect gift, or you would rather make/bake something thoughtful for your loved one in time for tomorrow then this cute biscuit recipe may be an option. Do let us know if/what you have created yourself as a romantic gesture in the comments box below, we would love to know! (Ahem. And possibly steal some last minute ideas…)
[ezdiv id=”” class=”” style=””][/ezdiv]
[ezcol_1third id=”” class=”” style=””]
- 200g unsalted butter
- 280g caster sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 400g plain flour
- a pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Royal icing or sugar paste
[ezcol_2third_end id=”” class=”” style=””]
- Preheat oven to 170c/Gas mark 3
- Place the butter, sugar and vanilla extract in a freestanding mixer with a paddle attachment (or use an electric whisk) and mix until light and fluffy. Add the egg and mixx well.
- Add the flour, salt and cream of tartar and mix until it forms a dough. Be careful not to overmix.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface and cut out any desired shapes.
- Place on a baking tray lined with baking paper and place in the oven for 10 minutes. Keep checking as you want the biscuits to be lightly golden on the edges and paler in the middle.
- Leave to cool slightly on the tray and then place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- To decorate the biscuits roll out the sugar paste and cut out shapes using the same cutters you used for the biscuits. Use a small dab of water on the back to adhere it to the biscuit. Or use royal icing if preferred.
- Add any colours or messages using stamps, edible pens, colours or petal dusts.