What a difference a week makes eh?! As you may remember last week’s instalment of the Rock My Room bathroom DIY challenge featured our tile choices and the odd bit of initial plumbing. During week two it was all about tiling and woodwork.

The two updates didn’t take too much of my own time since Ste and I were forced to outsource these jobs to professionals due to time constraints and availability. Ste has been working away a lot, and between Rock My Limited and Hector it doesn’t leave me with much time for this type of labour intensive DIY. I’m a bit gutted as I would have loved to have completed some of the grouting and laying myself. But both activities have made a big impact which has changed the look and feel of the rooms completely, photos of which I’ve added in a gallery below as I don’t think you can get the full impact in a post header.


We had a minor wobble with the tiling of this room; it wasn’t so much the tiles themselves as the colour of the grouting, we (actually it was me!) chose. Ste still isn’t happy if I’m honest which proves that things definitely do not always go to plan especially when you’re up against it for a DIY challenge on an interiors blog. Ste had visions of this room being very light, bright and airy contrasted by a charcoal grey radiator and matte black taps. Somehow I got talked into choosing a light grey grout by our tiler – he assured me that it would be more off-white than grey – and the result is that now our Limestone tiles seem really quite yellowy compared to before. It’s too much effort/time/money to try to rectify the situation now so it’s all about living with it and hoping that a lick of paint and the insertion of the bath into the space will radically change the aesthetic. Here’s hoping anyway.

In the meantime I’ve had to send back the matte black taps we ordered and exchange them for their chrome counterparts as well as dealing with a boy who is very sulky indeed. Who knew a man could be so pernickety about his bathroom.

Shower Room

The shower room by contrast is a a success story. We’re both incredibly happy with the colour scheme we opted for…all the greys…and weirdly the room feels bigger than it did before we added tiles into the mix.

We opted for Topps Tiles ‘Dorsaf Tumbled Grey‘ tiles on the floor, skirting and splash back behind the basin. For the shower enclosure we chose marble mosaic tiles; initially I considered opting for larger mosaic or even large marble veined tiles as per the inspiration in last weeks post. But we finally settled on the design we have now and I’m really pleased with it. And they aren’t sparkly by the way…I think it’s just the way that the camera has caught the light.

The doors and architrave have also been added and need handles fitting and priming before we get the paintbrushes out.

What Next?

There’s still so much to do! This coming week will see the return of the plumbers to fit the bath, toilets, shower screen, all the taps and any other fixtures and fittings. We also need to decide on the colour of the paint for both rooms and the woodwork and book in the electrician to come back and complete the second fix. And hopefully then we’ll be onto my favourite part of the interior decorating process…the accessories. I can’t wait!

I’ll be back next week to talk you through how we’re progressing through our checklist but in the meantime please do join in and share your progress as really helps to keep up the motivation levels. I have loved seeing all the #RockMyRoom2017 updates via Instagram so please continue to share your snaps. Until next week then…