Yes, a brownie that is made out of…..a potato. Don’t be scared folks, these are actually a very pleasant treat and are also gluten, sugar and dairy free – perfect for your clean eating regime!
They are lovely and dense with a rich chocolate flavour and they would be extra delicious when topped with the chocolate frosting from the cake in a mug recipe. And if you happen to be in process of weaning just make up an extra batch of the sweet potato and apple puree, your littles will love it!
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 cup sweet potato puree
- ½ cup pureed apple
- ¼ cup date paste (or extra apple)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup gluten free plain flour
- ½ cup raw cacao or cocoa powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ cup walnuts
- Preheat your oven to 180/Gas mark 4. Grease and line a 9” square tin, making sure the lining comes up over the edges.
- Combine the avocado, sweet potato puree, apple, date paste, vanilla and eggs and mix until smooth and creamy.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking soda.
- Add sweet potato mixture to the flour and mix well
- Fold in walnuts and transfer to your prepared pan. Spread batter evenly and bake for approximately 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Place brownies on a wire rack to cool for 15-20 minutes.
- Cut into squares and enjoy!