In general I have been doing quite well with my revised way of eating – i.e. cutting out the majority of refined sugars, gluten and dairy whilst introducing more fresh and organic fruit and vegetables. I think I mentioned before, I try and do it 80% of the time, which leaves 20% for when I simply don’t have time to cook from scratch and the odd Kit Kat. And maybe a couple of gin and tonics. Oh and um….a few fondant fancies.
Here’s the thing, just because I cut out the sugar hasn’t meant I don’t “crave” it as such. I simply don’t buy many naughty treats – if there is a tube of Oreos in the cupboard then I will possibly spend the majority of the day thinking about it, whether I have a batch of raw brownies at the ready or not.
Am I doing something wrong? Is it because I need to cut out the “bad” foods completely?
When we went on our first family holiday recently I didn’t adhere to any particular healthy eating plan, for one it would have been nigh on impossible (unless I was prepared to not eat much at all, or carry around some pre-made clean snacks in tupperware). I didn’t choose to consume complete rubbish for the sake of it, I enjoyed some delicious salads and fresh fruit along with the cream teas and the (multiple) ice creams. I assumed when I returned home my 80/20 regime would resume. But it was REALLY sodding hard. I could have almost cried so all encompassing was my burning desire to leg it to the One Stop and buy a packet of Penguins.
Ok so I might be exaggerating. But only a bit.
Was my measurable increase in sugar, even for just a short period, the reason behind my lapse? If it was then it just goes to show how addictive it is.
I’ve gradually worked my way back to a more healthy outlook but it takes dedication, and a distinctly hefty dose of willpower. Plus I’m still unsure on this whole “to use honey or to not use honey” conundrum. My porridge would be bland without it, but is it actually encouraging my sweet tooth?
I didn’t change my eating habits in a drastic bid to lose weight, I just want the associated health benefits, more energy, less bloating….talking of which. I can’t quite get over just how crappy I felt when I did fall off the wagon for a few weeks, I went from having a relatively flat stomach to becoming really quite uncomfortable. And it’s not as if I all of a sudden started wolfing down thick sliced white loaf, I have only ever eaten granary and wholemeal for years (bread is not my friend, I do my best to avoid it full stop.)
It’s what gives me the willpower, the motivation that I look and feel heaps better. I also notice I have dark shadow under my eyes and drier somewhat greyish skin when I increase my dairy, gluten and sugar intake. Yep, it’s as much the vanity aspect as much as anything that’s got me back on track.
How are you lovely folks doing on your clean eating mission? Have you got any advice on how I may actually quash this sugar craving altogether? (Yes Charlotte, maybe not stuff your face with Mr Kiplings finest quite so often eh?)
Have you noticed the negative effects when you’ve “fallen off the wagon”?
I’ve listed a couple of things in the box to the right that have helped me get back into the healthy swing again, please do share yours in the comments section below.
You can follow my cooking (and cake) adventures on my personal instagram
- Frozen raspberries are nice to chomp on (a bit like ice lollies), plus they (obviously) keep much longer than fresh.
- A good bread alternative is Deliciously Ella’s banana version, it’s not too sweet. I don’t have anything spread on it but you could do, it’s full of nuts so an almond butter would work well.
- Pukka “revitalise” organic, cinnamon, cardamon and ginger tea is actually very pleasant and does curb my incessant need for 25 cups of coffee a day that are often accompanied by some kind of wafer biscuit.
- Did you see my pepper recipe the other day? I always try and keep a variety of peppers and tomatoes in the fridge at all times, you can do so many things with them. Great to snack on raw too.